Jump to navigation Jump to search
Photo credit: G.W. Scherer


A raised bubble or bulge on a laminated or coated surface. A blister may be due to excessive heat, to trapped pockets of air, liquid, or solids, or to insufficient adhesive. Blisters may occur in laminating films, adhering paper or cloth to boards and gluing veneer. Paints, coatings, embedments, and metals can also have blisters when bubbles occur near the surface.

Additional Images

Resources and Citations

  • Theodore J. Reinhart, 'Glossary of Terms', Engineered Plastics, ASM International, 1988
  • Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998