A lightweight hydrocarbon solvent distilled from Boghead coal. Boghead coal is an organic-containing mineral between oil shale and Coal, originally mined at Bathgate in Scotland. It has a high percentage of volatile aliphatic and olefinic hydrocarbons.
Synonyms and Related Terms
photogen; paraffin oil; torbanite oil; boghead oil;
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- Susan E. Schur, Conservation Terminology: A review of Past & Current Nomenclature of Materials, Technology and Conservation, Spring (p.34-39); Summer (p.35-38); Fall (p.25-36), 1985
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
- Encyclopedia Britannica, http://www.britannica.com Comment: "Torbanite." Accessed 19 May 2004.