[Purex Industrial] A registered trademark for a series of cleaning pad products. The original Billo steel wool cleaning pad was developed in 1913 by the Brillo Manufacturing Company. Brillo steel wood pads are composed of a fine grade steel wool pad embedded with a pinkish soap and baking powder. They were originally used to clean and polish Aluminum cookware and utensils. Other Brillo products included All-Purpose cleaning pads made from Polyurethane foam and Scrub n Toss pads composed of a dual layers of white(rayon/Polypropylene) and blue (polyester).
Synonyms and Related Terms
steel wool; Brillo Scrub n Toss Cleaning Pads; Brillo All-purpose Cleaning Pads
- Steel will rust and degrade.
- May contain trace levels of toxic or carcinogenic materials.
Physical and Chemical Properties
Soap is soluble in water.
Resources and Citations
- Brillo: Cleaning products
- Product Information Comment: Product packaging
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998