Jump to navigation Jump to search
1) (textile) A small knot or lump in wool, yarn or fabric.
2) (wood) A large, round growth on the trunk of a tree. Burls have irregular figuring that is valued for veneer and decorative wood objects.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Resources and Citations
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998