Jump to navigation Jump to search
Elm burl jar
MFA# 1993.655


Maple burl vessel
MFA# 1993.655

1) (textile) A small knot or lump in wool, yarn or fabric.

2) (wood) A large, round growth on the trunk of a tree. Burls have irregular figuring that is valued for veneer and decorative wood objects.

Synonyms and Related Terms

radica (It.)

Resources and Citations

  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998