Jump to navigation Jump to search
1) The portion of a hide or skin that comes from the buttocks, back and hindquarters, of the animal. The butt portion of a hide is has the strongest and thickest skin.
2) (verb) To place or join two ends together without any overlap. A butt hinge can be used to hold two abutting surfaces.
Resources and Citations
- Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998