1) (electrical) The amount of electric charge passing between two electrodes divided by the difference in potential for the same two electrodes. Electrical capacitance is measured in farads (coulombs per volts).
2) (thermal) The amount of heat transferred between two points divided by the temperature difference between the same two points. Thermal capacitance is measured in BTU per degree.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Kapazitätswert (Deut.); capacitance (Fr.);
Resources and Citations
- Theodore J. Reinhart, 'Glossary of Terms', Engineered Plastics, ASM International, 1988
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997