Cotton wool

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rolled cotton


1) A wad or roll of absorbent Cotton used for padding, binding, and as an absorbent.

2) A boll of unprocessed cotton fibers.

Synonyms and Related Terms

cotton batting; absorbent cotton; bambagia; cotton roll; rolled cotton; guata, algodón en rama(Esp.); watten;ruwe katoen, katoenpluis (Ned);

Resources and Citations

  • G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 296
  • Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982
  • Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
  • Conservation termlist at