Jump to navigation Jump to search
Stoneware vase
MFA# RES.28.60


Covered urn
MFA# 2002.774a-b

French term for a network of fine cracks on the surface of a painting or ceramic. The direction, regularity, size, and shape of the islands between the cracks have been studied and related to painting styles and materials used during different time periods (Bucklow, 1997).

Synonyms and Related Terms

crackle; reticulation

Resources and Citations

  • S.Bucklow, "The description of craquelure patterns", Studies in Conservation, 42: 129-140, 1997.
  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)

Retrieved from ""