Cross section paper

Jump to navigation Jump to search


A type of ledger paper that has a pale grid marked in blue or green ink. Cross section paper has a repetitive pattern of heavier lines that occur regularly, such as every ten blocks or every 1 inch square. Cross section paper is used for scaled drawings, charts and graphs. A similar type of paper, called quadrille, has an even density on all its grid lines.

Synonyms and Related Terms

cross-section paper; quadrille paper; graph paper; papier graphique (Fr.); papier millimétré (Fr.)

Resources and Citations

  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998