An oily liquid with a slight odor of Acetone and peppermint. Cyclohexanone is an effective Solvent for many paints, coatings, and plastics and is used in paint and varnish removers. It is also used to clean metals, dye Silk, and remove spots in fabrics.
Synonyms and Related Terms
pimelic ketone; ketohexamethylene; cyclohexyl ketone; Hexanon
- Causes irritation to skin, eyes and nose.
- Overexposure may cause narcosis.
- Ingestion causes vomiting and cramps.
- Flammable. Flash point: 43.9C (111F)
- Sigma-Aldrich: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
Miscible in most solvents. Slightly soluble in water.
|Melting Point||-32.1 C|
|Molecular Weight||mol. wt. = 98.14|
|Boiling Point||155.6 C|
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 744
- Michael McCann, Artist Beware, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York City, 1979 Comment: Flash point = 69C
- The Merck Index, Martha Windholz (ed.), Merck Research Labs, Rahway NJ, 10th edition, 1983 Comment: entry 2795
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Robert Weast (ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, v. 61, 1980 Comment: ref. index=1.448