[Harris International Labs] A brand name for a non-acidic rust removing solution. Evapo-Rust uses a selective chelation system to target iron oxide then remove it from the metallic surface as Ferric sulfate. The system does not have sufficient strength to break the iron-to-iron bond thus leaves the non-rusted metal intact. After rust removal, the metal surface may be rinsed with water, then painted, plated, or coated.
- Non-toxic, non-hazardous and non-flammable
- Waste is safe for any disposal method
- Evapo-Rust: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Safe for plastics and rubbers
- Solution is neutral (pH = 6.1)
- No dilution or preparation is needed for the solution.
- Piece must be submerged in Evapo-Rust. Brushing or wiping on will not work
- Evapo-rust solution is spent when it turns black.
- Removing dirt from the object will speed the rust remove process
- Litgh rust amounts may be removed in 30 minutes, but deep rust may require overnight soaking
Forms and Sizes
- Available in 1 gallon, 5 gallon and 55 gallon sizes.
Resources and Citations
- The Rust Store: Evapo-Rust
- Fran Ritchie, National Park Service, contributed information, June 2022.