Filler rod

Jump to navigation Jump to search


A thin, long rod used as an intermediate metal in the welding of a metal joint. The filler rod is made of Bronze, Brass, or other Metal that has a lower melting point than the base metal. The base metal joint is heated with an acetylene torch, then the filler rod is touched to the hot surface immediately melting and filling in the crack.

Synonyms and Related Terms

solder; baguette de soudure (Fr.); Schweißstab (Deut.); soldeer (Ned.); fio de solda (Port.)

Resources and Citations

  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998

Retrieved from ""