Jump to navigation Jump to search


Common name used for Calcium fluoride (Fluorite) prior to the 1800s when chemical compound names were standardized (Schur 1985). It was also called fluate and fluorspar during this time period.

Synonyms and Related Terms

calcium fluoride; fluorite; fluorspar; fluate

Resources and Citations

  • Susan E. Schur, Conservation Terminology: A review of Past & Current Nomenclature of Materials, Technology and Conservation, Spring (p.34-39); Summer (p.35-38); Fall (p.25-36), 1985
  • The Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Francis Turner (ed.), Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York City, 3rd edition, 1942