Jump to navigation Jump to search
Glazed wool
MFA# 24.78


Japanese bowl
MFA# 92.6096

A thin, glassy coating or finish.

  • Paintings: Glaze is a thin film of transparent to semitransparent color added to change tonality. Glazes may be composed of diluted oil or oil/resin Paint. A glaze usually refers to a darker color (e.g., Vandyke brown) applied over a lighter underlayer.
  • Ceramics: Glaze is a thin, vitreous, opaque coating fired on the surface of a Ceramic body to add color, texture, and water resistance. Ceramic glazes are usually mixtures of silicates, lead compounds, and Boric acid flux.
Glazed pot
MFA# 99.74

Synonyms and Related Terms

glazing; glaçure (Fr.); veladura (Esp., Port.)

Resources and Citations

  • R. J. Gettens, G.L. Stout, Painting Materials, A Short Encyclopaedia, Dover Publications, New York, 1966
  • Reed Kay, The Painter's Guide To Studio Methods and Materials, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1983
  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • ASTM, "Standard Terminology Relating to Paint, Varnish, Lacquer and Related Products", Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Section 6, Paints, Related Coatings and Aromatics, ASTM, D16, 7-Jan, Jul-96
  • Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Dictionary of Fiber & Textile Technology (older version called Man-made Fiber and Textile Dictionary, 1965), Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Charlotte NC, 1990
  • Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982
  • The Dictionary of Paper, American Paper Institute, New York, Fourth Edition, 1980
  • E.J.LaBarre, Dictionary and Encyclopedia of Paper and Paper-making, Swets & Zeitlinger, Amsterdam, 1969
  • Teri Hensick, contributed information, 1998