Glazing compound

Jump to navigation Jump to search


A doughy material used to secure a window pane to the frame while forming an air and water tight seal. The glazing compound may be a specially formulated Putty or caulk that is weather-resistant and does not harden or crack. Some currently marketed glazing compounds are based on polysulfide rubbers which may introduce sulfur to interior environments. Early glazing mixtures, called window putty, were a thick paste composed of powdered Calcium carbonate mixed with Linseed oil.

Synonyms and Related Terms

putty; caulk

Resources and Citations

  • ASTM, "Standard Terminology Relating to Paint, Varnish, Lacquer and Related Products", Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Section 6, Paints, Related Coatings and Aromatics, ASTM, D16, 7-Jan, Jul-96
  • Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
  • Pam Hatchfield, Pollutants in the Museum Environment, Archetype Press, London, 2002

Retrieved from ""