Jump to navigation Jump to search
Marble coated with PVAC
Photo: V. Vergès-Belmin


Gloss due to repeated touch
Photo: V. Vergès-Belmin

A subjective measure of the shine or luster of a surface based on the amount of specular, or mirror-like, reflection of light. A material that reflects light well has a high gloss surface. Unwanted light reflection is usually called glare.

Synonyms and Related Terms

glossy; glossiness; shine; sheen; glare

Resources and Citations

  • Boise Cascade Paper Group, The Paper Handbook, Boise Cascade, Portland OR, 1989
  • Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982