Jump to navigation Jump to search


An unstandardized name for a substance that is mixed with another to make the second material harder and more durable. Hardeners are used in paints, varnishes, adhesives, cements, and metals. A hardener may also be added to a photographic emulsion to raise its melting point. Other more specific names for materials that may be considered hardeners are: Catalyst, Accelerator, Drier, or Filler.

Resources and Citations

  • Theodore J. Reinhart, 'Glossary of Terms', Engineered Plastics, ASM International, 1988
  • Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
  • Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982
  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998
  • Conservation termlist at www.hants.org.uk/museums

Retrieved from "https://cameo.mfa.org/index.php?title=Hardener&oldid=92070"