[Rhodia, Inc] A registered trademark for a series of nonionic surfactants composed of alkylphenoxypoly(ethyleneoxy)ethanols. Igepal® surfactants are pale yellow viscous liquids. A 5% aqueous solution of Igepal® CA has a pH of 7-9. They are effective detergents, wetting agents and emulsifiers and have been used to remove tarnish from silver. However, alkylphenol ethoxylate compounds, like Igepal® and Triton® X, are xenoestrogens and should be handled with caution. Nonoxynol-9 (same as Igepal® CA-630) is also used as a spermicide.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Igepal® CA-630; Igepal CA-630; Nonoxynol-9
- Contact will cause irritation to skin, and eyes.
- Extremely hazardous.
- Handle carefully and dispose as hazardous waste.
- ThermoFisher: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Miscible in water, ethanol and acetone.
- Soluble in benzene, toluene.
- Insoluble in ligroin.
- Density = 1.0595
Resources and Citations
- Caring for your Collections, Arthur W Schulz (ed.), Harry N. Abrams, Inc. , New York, 1992
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997