Jump to navigation Jump to search
A waxy powder that can be prepared by the reaction of Oleic acid with lead carbonate. Lead oleate is a liquid at 16% lead and a solid at 37% lead. Lead oleate is use as a Drier in oil paints and varnishes to speed the polymerization and oxidation processes.
Synonyms and Related Terms
oleic acid lead salt
- Toxic by inhalation or ingestion.
- Skin contact may cause irritation or ulcers.
- Carcinogen, teratogen, suspected mutagen.
- ChemService: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
Soluble in ethanol, benzene, ether, turpentine. Insoluble in water.
Resources and Citations
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- The Merck Index, Martha Windholz (ed.), Merck Research Labs, Rahway NJ, 10th edition, 1983 Comment: entry 5435