Jump to navigation Jump to search
A white powder that is used as a Drier in oil paints and varnishes to speed the polymerization and oxidation processes. Lead stearate is also used as a lubricant during extrusion, as a stabilizer in vinyl polymers and as a corrosion inhibitor in petroleum products.
Synonyms and Related Terms
stearic acid lead salt
- Toxic by inhalation or ingestion.
- Absorbed by the skin. Skin contact may cause irritation or ulcers.
- Carcinogen, teratogen, suspected mutagen.
- EChemi: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
Soluble in hot ethanol. Insoluble in water.
|Melting Point||~125 C|
Resources and Citations
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- The Merck Index, Martha Windholz (ed.), Merck Research Labs, Rahway NJ, 10th edition, 1983 Comment: entry # 5442