A colorless liquid that is often used as a monomer for
polyester resins. Methyl styrene polymerizes with heat or catalysts. It is also acts as a solvent for polyester resins, such as Bio-Plastic® (Wards Natural Science).
Synonyms and Related Terms
isopropenyl benzene; 2-phenylpropene
- Combustible. Moderate fire risk. Flash point = 54C
- Explosive limits in air 1.9-6.1%
- Moderately toxic by inhalation and skin contact.
- ThermoFisher: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
Soluble in benzene. Insoluble in water.
|Melting Point||-23.21 C|
|Molecular Weight||mol. wt. = 118.2|
|Boiling Point||165.38 C|
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 627
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- Michael McCann, Artist Beware, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York City, 1979