[Kuraray] A registered trademark for a series of polyvinyl butyral resins whose properties are characterized by presence of butyral-, hydroxyl-, and acetyl-groups. Mowital® has been used as an adhesive and a consolidant.
- Mowital® F: polyvinyl formal
- Mowital® B: polyvinyl butyral
- Mowital® B20H: polyvinyl butyral (76) / polyvinyl alcohol (20); visc=14 mPa.s
- Mowital® B30H: polyvinyl butyral (76) / polyvinyl alcohol (20); visc=25 mPa.s
- Mowital® B30T: polyvinyl butyral (70) / polyvinyl alcohol (26); visc=25 mPa.s
- Mowital® B60H: polyvinyl butyral (77) / polyvinyl alcohol (20); visc=65 mPa.s
- Mowital® B60HH: polyvinyl butyral (83) / polyvinyl alcohol (14); visc=60 mPa.s
May yellow and become insoluble with time.
Resources and Citations
- Kuraray: Mowital
- J. Leene, Adhesives for Textile Conservation. Butterworths, London, 1972.
- K.van Nes, A.Kipp, "Treatment of a Gonfalon" in Symposium: Conservation of Flags, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 1980.
- C.V.Horie Materials for Conservation, Architectural Press division of Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1997, p.177.
- Ceramics and Glass Conservation Section, List of Workshop Materials, The British Museum, London
- Meredith Montague, contributed information, 1998
- CoOL DistList 2/10/20