[OBO-Werke GmbH] A tradename for cast Polyurethane boards and blocks mainly used for model construction, tool making and mold production. Obomodulan board are homogeneous and fine-celled with smooth surfaces. It has a high edge stability, small thermal expansion coefficient, low dust formation when being machined. The thermoplastic boards can be easily shaped at temperatures up to 120C.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Obomodulan is used as a structural material for display decks, display panels and risers.
- Produces fine dust that is a potential eye and respiratory irritant.
- Dust should be collected by suction cleaning equipment or use dust mask or respirator.
- OBO-Werke: MSDS
Degraded by ultraviolet light and may contain UV absorbers or antioxidants. Combustible, but slow-burning.
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials below
- Standard wood product finishing processes. Smooth and homogeneous surface combined with an even cell structure.
- Porosity depends on board density. Obo 500 takes primer well and is dense enough for smooth finish without much extra work. Higher density panels (1400) give more structural stability.
- Standard primer and painting methods. Adhesives stick fairly well, good for laminates and textiles.
- Machines smoothly, does not chip, no banding, sands easily to a smooth surface.
- Readily accepts and holds hardware including staples, scress and other wood fastening hardware. Ideal for pressure fitting mounts.
- More labor with large scale builds due to small plank size. Need to adhere planks together with Obo Polyurethane 2-part adhesive and add splines for extra support.
- Best for risers, back panels and small display decks with fewer joins. Design for thickness no less than 1".
Forms and Sizes
- Most common for casework: Obo 500 comes in sheet sizes of 1" x 20" x 80" (25 x 500 x 2000mm)
- Range of 10 different densities between 200 - 1200 kg/m3. There are 8 different dimensions to a maximum of 2000 x 1000 mm and thicknesses of up to 200 mm are available.
Resources and Citations
- Obomodulan® PU boards webpage contains links to product brochures, safety data sheet, technical data sheet and test reports. (accessed 10/2019)
- OBO-Bond brown adhesive technical data sheet (accessed 10/2019)