Jump to navigation Jump to search
[OBO-Werke GmbH] A tradename for a cast Polyurethane board mainly used for model construction, tool making and mold production.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Obomodulan is used as a structural material for display decks, display panels and risers.
- Produces fine dust that is a potential eye and respiratory irritant.
- Dust should be collected by suction cleaning equipment or use dust mask or respirator.
- OBO-Werke: MSDS
Degraded by ultraviolet light and may contain UV absorbers or antioxidants. Combustible, but slow-burning.
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials below
- Obomodulan Tooling Board 500 Magma, CMA 2011
- Obomodulan 500 polyurethane board, MMA 2018
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Standard wood product finishing processes. smooth and homogeneous surface combined with an even cell structure. It has a high edge stability, small thermal expansion coefficient, low dust formation when being machined.
- Porosity depends on board density. Obo 500 takes primer well and is dense enough for smooth finish without much extra work. Higher density panels (1400) give more structural stability.
- Standard primer and painting methods. Adhesives stick fairly well, good for laminates and textiles.
- Machines smoothly, does not chip, no banding, sands easily to a smooth surface.
- Readily accepts and holds hardware including staples, scress and other wood fastening hardware. Ideal for pressure fitting mounts.
- More labor with large scale builds due to small plank size. Need to adhere planks together with Obo Polyurethane 2-part adhesive and add splines for extra support.
- Best for risers, back panels and small display decks with fewer joins. Design for thickness no less than 1".
Forms and Sizes
- Most common for casework: Obo 500 comes in sheet sizes of 1" x 20" x 80" (25 x 500 x 2000mm)
- Range of 10 different densities between 200 - 1200 kg/m3. There are 8 different dimensions to a maximum of 2000 x 1000 mm and thicknesses of up to 200 mm are available.
Resources and Citations
- Obomodulan® PU boards webpage contains links to product brochures, safety data sheet, technical data sheet and test reports. (accessed 10/2019)
- OBO-Bond brown adhesive technical data sheet (accessed 10/2019)