[Dumond] A registered trademark for a paint remover system based on VOC-free alkaline paste. Developed in 1981, the Peel Away paste is spread over the surface to be stripped, then covered with the patented Peel Away® Paper to control evaporation. After 12-48 hours dwell time, the paper, paste, and softened paint can be removed with a scraper. Any remaining residue is removed with a sponge and water or a power washer. Finally, because of its strong alkaline composition, the stripped surface must be neutralized using Citri-Lize™ which is included in the kit.
Note: The description above is for Peel Away 1. New formulations include
- Peel Away 5: an eco-friendly soy-based gel system for the removal of acrylic, epoxy and polyurethane paints.
- Peel Away 7: a solvent-based, non-caustic, paint removal system that does not contain methylene chloride.
Chemical and Physical Properties
|Peel Away 1||12||Calcium Hydroxide (40-50%), Sodium Hydroxide (1-20%); Starch (1-5%); Sodium dodecyl benzene sulphonate (1-5%)|
|Peel Away 7||6||Kaolin clay with Benzyl alcohol (20-40%), 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone (10-20%); Dibasic ester (10-20%)|
Resources and Citations
- Dumond Global: Peel Away Products
- Dumond Global: Peel Away -1
- Dumond Global: Peel Away -7