[Zotefoams Limited] A trademark for a crosslinked Polyethylene foam that is expanded with nitrogen gas. Plastazote® is chemically and biologically inert. Plastazote® products are supplied as sheets, rolls, rods, or slabstock. As with other polyethylene products, these foams deteriorate, shrink, and/or warp in direct sunlight. Similar products by the same company are Propozote (Polypropylene), Evazote® (polyethylene) and Supazote (polyethylene). All Zotefoams exhibit very low emission of volatile species up to temperatures of 190C.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Zotefoam; Propozote (polypropylene); Evazote® (polyethylene); Supazote (polyethylene)
Similar products: Volara
- Softens at 105-115C and decomposes at 300C.
- Combustion products are carbon monoxide and water.
Physical and Chemical Properties
Available in several densities and thicknesses (2-27 mm). Select from low density polyethylene (LDPE) or high density polyethylene (HDPE)
Resources and Citations
- Zotefoams: Plastazote
- National Park System, Conserv O Gram, Number 8/2, 'Safe Plastic & Fabrics for Display & Storage': Link
- Pam Hatchfield, Pollutants in the Museum Environment, Archetype Press, London, 2002
- Ceramics and Glass Conservation Section, List of Workshop Materials, The British Museum, London