Ruby red crystalline powder that is used to make blueprints, to stain Wood, and dye Wool. Potassium ferricyanide is also used as an etching liquid in electroplating and as a Reducing agent for photography.
Synonyms and Related Terms
farmer's reducer; potassium hexacyanoferrate (III); Mercer's liquor; red prussiate of potash; red potassium prussiate;
- Decomposes with heat, acids or UV light to produce highly toxic hydrogen cyanide fumes.
- ThermoFisher: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
Soluble in water. Slightly soluble in ethanol.
|Molecular Weight||mol. wt. = 329.25|
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 632
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- Michael McCann, Artist Beware, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York City, 1979
- Photographic chemicals at www.jetcity.com/~mrjones/chemdesc
- N.Odegaard, S.Carroll, W.Zimmt, Material Characterization Tests for Objects of Art and Archaeology, Archetype Publications, London, 2000, p. 62.