[Aspen Aerogels] A flexible high-temperature insulation blanket formed of silica Aerogel that is reinforced with a non-woven, glass-fiber batting. Pyrogel blankets provide exceptional passive fire protection and superior thermal performance in an easy to install, lightweight format. In addition to maintaining a constant temperature, the Pyrogel blankets are hydrophobic and breathable, thus allowing any covered material to maintain a constant environment even in moist, hot, or cold conditions.
- Pyrogel XTE: best for thermal and acoustical insulation and corrosion inhibition; of used for pipes (Datasheet)
- Pyrogel XTF: best for passive fire protection and acoustics (Datasheet)
- Pyrogel HPS: best for high temperature service (Datasheet)
- Pyrogel XTZ: available with factory-applied foil vapor barrier that is best for low- to moderate-temperature applications such as chilled water piping.
- Fire prevention
- Thermal insulation
- Use PPE when handling, cutting and installing
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Can withstand temperatures up to 650 C (1200 F)
- Very lightweight
- Density = 0.2 g/ml
- Thicknesses = 5mmm (XTE), or 10mm (XTE, XTF, HPS)
- * Conventional cutting tools may be used (scissors, knives, etc.)
Resources and Citations
Thermaxx Jackets: [https://www.thermaxxjackets.com/products/insulation-materials/pyroge Pyrogel
- Praestegaard L., G. Sorig Thomsen, K. Woer 'Before the Fire: Experiments on Fire-Protecting Cover Materials', Studies in Conservation, 68(1), 1-8, (2023) link
- Skanacid A/S: www.skanacid.dk
- Aerogel: What is Aeogel?
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel