Jump to navigation Jump to search


1) A variant of ruddle, a red iron ore used as a colorant in paints and fabrics. See Red ochre.

2) A device for spreading warp yarns evenly.

3) Interwoven sticks or vines, especially in a fence.

Synonyms and Related Terms

ocre (Port.); ocher; ochre; red chalk

Resources and Citations

  • Fairchild's Dictionary of Textiles, Phyllis G.Tortora, Robert S. Merkel (eds.), Fairchild Publications, New York City, 7th edition, 1996
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998
  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997

Retrieved from "https://cameo.mfa.org/index.php?title=Raddle&oldid=91742"