Jump to navigation Jump to search
A medium size oak tree, Quercus coccinea, native to the central and eastern parts of North America. The scarlet oak has a strong, reddish brown wood with a coarse grain. It is used for interior millwork.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Physical and Chemical Properties
- A medium tree growing to 25 m with a rounded crown.
- Bark=brown developing ridges and furrows with age.
- Leaves=oval with deep sinuses and seven bristle-tipped lobes.
- Fruit=small oval acorn with large shiny cap, maturation takes two years.
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 556
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996