Sodium ortho-phenyl phenate
A white flaky material that is used as a Bactericide and Fungicide. A dilute solution of sodium ortho-phenyl phenate is commercially available as Dowicide A [Dow Chemical]. Sodium ortho-phenyl phenate is used as a preservative in gouache paints.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Dowicide A [Dow Chemical]; Natriphene; sodium-o-phenylphenate; sodium-2-phenylphenolate
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Soluble in water, methanol, acetone. Slightly soluble in propylene glycol.
- Saturated aqueous solution has a pH of 12.0 - 13.5.
|Composition||C6H4(C6H5)ONa - 4H2O|
Resources and Citations
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- Michael McCann, Artist Beware, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York City, 1979
- The Merck Index, Martha Windholz (ed.), Merck Research Labs, Rahway NJ, 10th edition, 1983 Comment: entry 7186