The name Super Glue was first used by Loctite in 1973 for a cyanoacrylate adhesive. However, before the name was trademarked it was also used by other companies for the fast-setting cyanoacrylate adhesives. Some super glue brand names are Super Glue Gel® [Loctite], Krazy glue [Elmer's, formerly Borden], Super Attack [Loctite], Eastman 910® [Eastman Chemical], and ELFY® super glue.
In general, these are colorless, transparent adhesives. Cyanoacrylate glues set rapidly (5 seconds to 3 minutes) upon exposure to ultraviolet radiation or moisture. When cured, they form an extremely strong bond that is fairly insoluble. Cyanoacrylate glues has been used for gluing glass, ceramics and other hard materials.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Brand names: Super glue [Loctite]; Krazy Glue [Elmer’s]; Super Attack [Loctite]; Eastman 910 [Eastman Chemical]; ELFY Super glue
- Contact can cause irritation and immediate adhesion of skin.
- Do not pull bonded skin apart.
- Soak in warm soapy water. Gently peel apart using a blunt instrument.
- Loctite Super Glue Products: SDS
- Rapid exothermic polymerization will occur in the presence of water, amines, alkalis and alcohols.
- Incompatible with water, amines, alkalis, and alcohols as it will lead to spontaneous polymerization.
- Shelf life, unopened, is 24 months from date of manufacture when stored at 68°F.
Physical and Chemical Properties
Below information from Loctite Super Glue Gel Technical Date Sheet.
Loctite Super Glue Gel Typical Uncured Physical Properties:
|Adhesive Base||Ethyl cyanoacrylate|
|Color||Clear and colorless|
|Odor||Sharp, irritating (use in a well-ventilated area)|
|Flash Point||176°F (80°C) to 200°F (93°C)|
Loctite Super Glue Gel Typical Cured Performance Properties:
|Color||Clear and colorless|
|Cured form||Non-flammable, brittle solid|
|Service temperature||Up to 180°F (82°C)|
Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Avoid breathing vapors or mists of this product. Wash thoroughly after handling. Avoid contact with fabric or paper goods. Contact with these materials may cause rapid polymerization which can generate smoke and strong irritating vapors and cause thermal burns.
Keep in a cool, well ventilated area away from heat, sparks and open flame. Keep container tightly closed until ready for use as humidity and high temperature may decrease shelf life.
Super Glue does not bond to Polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), silicone or foam rubber, polystyrene foams, glass, or pure bone china. Do not use on glazed surfaces. Not for exterior applications. 
Surfaces need to be free from dirt, grease, or oil so that a strong bond can form. Apply above 50°F and leave undisturbed for 5-10 minutes, but for best results leave overnight to allow for full bond strength.
When cured, Super Glue become a clear and colorless brittle solid. Scrape away excess cured adhesive with sharp-edged tool.
Forms and Sizes
Variety of formulas and applicators available sold by different brands including, Loctite , Gorilla, and The Original Super Glue Corporation.
- super glue liquid professional
- super glue logneck bottle
- super glue extra time control
- super glue brush on
Resources and Citations
- Loctite Super Glue Website
- Loctite Product Data Sheets
- Website: www.speedline.ca/edavision/cyanoacrylates.html
- Kaela Nurmi, contributed information, MWG group, 2020.