1) An opaque white colored glass.
2) An old name for Opal glass used prior to the 1800s. White glass was made opalescent by the addition of fluorides.
3) A colorless, transparent glass with no green tinge. Water white glass has a low iron content.
Synonyms and Related Terms
1: obscure glass; 2: opal glass; vidro opala (Port.) 3: water clear glass
Resources and Citations
- Susan E. Schur, Conservation Terminology: A review of Past & Current Nomenclature of Materials, Technology and Conservation, Spring (p.34-39); Summer (p.35-38); Fall (p.25-36), 1985
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- A Glossary of Paper Conservation Terms, Margaret Ellis (ed.), Conservation Center of the Institute of Fine Arts, New York City, 1998