[Honeywell] A registered trademark for a moisture barrier film made from Polychlorotrifluoroethylene (PCTFE). Aclar films contain only PCTFE as an excellent moisture barrier that is thermoformable and used in many many packing applications. As such, Aclar is used in pharmaceutical, medical, electronics, and military packaging.
To provide an additional oxygen barrier, Honeywell recommends that Aclar is laminated with another substrate, such as PVC, EVOH, PE, Nylon, etc. Several companies provide laminated versions of Aclar. the PCTFE is laminated with Polyester (PET), then sandwiched between two layers of Polyethylene (PE). The multifilm laminate film provide a thermoformable, clear, barrier for oxygen and water vapor.
Examples of PCTFE laminate films as both moisture and oxygen barriers:
|Tradenames||Composition layers||Thickness (mils)||Water-vapor transmission gm/m2 per 24 hours||Oxygen transmission cc/m2 per 24 hours|
|Aclar UltRX 600||Polychlorotrifluoroethylene homopolymer||6.0 Mils||0.0047 (25°C 60%RH)||27.6|
|Peralux||Polyvinyl chloride\Aclar||6.0 Mils||0.03 (90% RH, 100°F)||14.8|
|kp (Pentapharm)||Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)\Aclar\PVdC\PVC||3.0 Mils||0.35 (38°C 90%RH)||0.18|
Synonyms and Related Terms
Arclar (sp); Alcar (sp); thermoform barrier film; moisture barrier film
Inert, non-flammable, solvent resistant.
Physical and Chemical Properties
For 0.9 mil film:
- Oxygen transmission: 13.9 ml/m²d
- Water vapor transmission @77F (25C) / 60% RH: 0.028 gms/m²/day
- Melting Point: 211°C
For more information see Technical Data Sheets
Typically used in combination with marvelseal for making anoxic enclosures for treating objects with insect infestations/pests. 
Can be laminated to a multitude of substrates, including Polyvinyl chloride (PVC), Polyethylene terephthalate (PET), Polypropylene (PP), cyclic olefin copolymer (COC) and Ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH) to add an oxygen and light barrier or create a more sustainable packaging solution for your application.
Exhibit Construction Reviews/Tips/Case Studies
An open-ended heat sealer works well to seal Aclar and allows for custom bag shapes to fit objects.
Resources and Citations
- Aclar: Website
- Honeywell press release, February 2019: "Honeywell Introduces Pharma Packaging Innovation with Aclar Accel"
- Honeywell product brochure: Introducing Aclar Accel, Films for high barrier packaging solutions
- Professional Plastics, Inc. Data Sheet: Aclar® PCTFE Film
KPfilms: Aclar laminated films
- Kaela Nurmi, contributed information, MWG group, 2020.
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- Pam Hatchfield, Pam Hatchfield, Pollutants in the Museum Environment, Archetype Press, London, 2002
- Conservation Support Systems, Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997