An unstandardized term that has been used as follows:
1) A hue designation for a sky-blue color. Azure paper implied authority in England and is still used by many government offices (LaBarre 1969).
2) An 18th century name for Smalt (Mayer 1969).
3) Another name for Cobalt blue.
Resources and Citations
- Thomas Gregory, The Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Reinhold Publishing, New York, 3rd ed., 1942
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- E.J.LaBarre, Dictionary and Encyclopedia of Paper and Paper-making, Swets & Zeitlinger, Amsterdam, 1969