Jump to navigation Jump to search
A viscous dark syrup remaining after cane sugar processing extracts purified Sugar crystals. Blackstrap molasses may contain as much as 10% inorganics and 30% Sucrose. Commercially, molasses is used for flavoring, cattle feed and the manufacture of ethanol. It was also added to some lining formulations as a Humectant.
Synonyms and Related Terms
melaza residual (Esp.)
Susceptible to biodeterioration.
Resources and Citations
- Paul Ackroyd "Glue-Paste Lining of Paintings: An Evaluation of Some Additive Materials" ICOM Edinburgh, 1996, p.231-238.
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 779
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- The Merck Index, Martha Windholz (ed.), Merck Research Labs, Rahway NJ, 10th edition, 1983 Comment: Entry 1348
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998