Jump to navigation Jump to search
Eddie Arning
MFA# 1986.195


A general name for a stick of Chalk, Charcoal, Grease, or Wax used for drawing.

See also Charcoal crayon, Conte crayon, Pastel, Wax crayon, Grease pencil, Colored pencil, and Lithograph crayon.

Nelly Murphy
MFA# 2002.364

Synonyms and Related terms

Additional Information

M.Holben Ellis, M.Brigitte Yeh,"Categories of Wax-based Drawing Media" WAAC Newsletter, Vol 19(3), 1997.


Websites of pastel, pencil, and marker manufacturers

Additional Images

Resources and Citations

  • G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 794
  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • A Glossary of Paper Conservation Terms, Margaret Ellis (ed.), Conservation Center of the Institute of Fine Arts, New York City, 1998
  • The Dictionary of Art, Grove's Dictionaries Inc., New York, 1996 Comment: "Crayon"