[Kommerling, USA] White, finely-textured, flexible Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) foam sheets. KomaTex has a matt, foamed surface that readily accepts inks, paints or laminants. It bonds well with most adhesives and is lightweight and flame resistant The weather resistant panel is recommended for outdoor applications. Komatex does not have an outer skin like other types of PVC Boards.
Synonyms and Related Terms
foam sheet; PVC Board
- Signs, banners, displays
- TAP Plastics: Komatex SDS
Research by Greg Smith and Michael Samide report that some rigid, unplasticized PVC construction boards give off a sulfur containing heat stabilizer (2-ethylhexyl thioglycolate [2-EHTG]) that can tarnish silver . However, they also reported finding several specific brands of PVC construction board, namely Komacel (Kommerling) and e-PVC (3A Composites) are safe for use in exhibition casework as they do not contain 2-EHTG.
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials
- IMA: Link Komatex (2016/7)
- MMA: Link Komatex White Matte (2019/09/24)
- MMA: Link Komatex 2210 (2018/08/03)
Manufacturer lists as 100% recyclable.
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Screws hold in Komatex really well.
- No outer skin; surface is rougher and more matte vs KomaCel.
- Because it is fire resistant, it is good for use on the exterior of cases.
Forms and Sizes
- Thicknesses: 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 15mm
- Widths: 1000mm, 1220mm, 1250mm, 1560mm, 2050mm
- Lengths: 2440mm, 3000mm, 3050mm, 4050mm
- Finishes: white (plus 9 other colors)
Less expensive than KomaCel.
Suppliers have KomaTex in larger quantities (vs KomaCel) because it’s desired for its fire resistance in outdoor and construction uses.
Resources and Citations
-  Assessing the Suitability of Unplasticized Poly(Vinyl Chloride) for Museum Showcase Construction, Michael J. Samide and Greg Smith, 2020 Link
- CCI Technical Bulletin 32 - Products Used in Preventive Conservation Link
- Kommerling: website