1) Common name for an impure mixture that contains about 50% Acetone, 30% Methyl acetate and 20% Methanol. Methyl acetone is used as a solvent for lacquers,and resins as well as a paint and varnish remover.
2) Synonym for Methyl ethyl ketone.
Flammable. Dangerous fire risk. Toxic by ingestion.
Physical and Chemical Properties
Miscible with most hydrocarbon solvents and oils.
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 9
- Thomas Gregory, The Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Reinhold Publishing, New York, 3rd ed., 1942
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)