Jump to navigation Jump to search
An orange-yellow arsenic sulfide mineral that can occur as a light induced alteration product of realgar. Pararealgar has been found in association with realgar in occasional classical and European paintings.
Synonyms and Related Terms
- Highly toxic by ingestion and inhalation.
- Carcinogen and mutagen
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Monoclinic, yellow, prismatic crystals.
- Fracture=brittle and uneven
- Luster=vitreous to resinous.
- Pigment particles are irregular with high relief.
Resources and Citations
- K. Trentelman, L. Stodulski, M. Pavlosky, 'Characterization of pararealgar and other light-induced transformation products from realgar by Raman microspectroscopy' Analytical Chemistry 68 (1996) 1755-1761.
- Webmineral: Pararealgar
- Nicholas Eastaugh, Valentine Walsh, Tracey Chaplin, Ruth Siddall, Pigment Compendium, Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 2004