An abbreviation for reinforcing bar. Rebar is a cast Steel bar originally designed as reinforcement for Concrete and block walls. It is available in several diameters, The bars have regularly spaced horizontal protrusions for positional stability.
Synonyms and Related Terms
re-bar; reinforcing bar; reinforcing rod; deformed bar; trussed bar; Bewehrungsstahl (Deut.);
Resources and Citations
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
- Encyclopedia Britannica, http://www.britannica.com Comment: "Steel." Accessed 7 Sept. 2004 .
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar (Accessed Mar. 1, 2006)
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus Online, https://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabulary/aat/, J. Paul Getty Trust, Los Angeles, 2000