Super Sculpey UltraLight
[Polyform Products] The lightweight varietal of Sculpey, a brand name for a modeling polymer clay composed of Polyvinyl chloride, plasticizers, coloring agents, and fillers. Super Sculpey Ultralight™ remains soft and flexible until it is oven baked. Once baked, it can be sanded, drilled, buffed, and painted with acrylic paints.
Synonyms and Related Terms
modeling clay; Sculpy (sp); polymer clay; oven-bake clay; oven hardening clay
- Do not inhale fumes while baking.
- Overheating in the oven will result in blackening and release of irritating gases including hydrogen chloride vapor (polyvinyl chloride decomposes at 190°C/375°F).
- Polyform: SDS
- Hydrochloric acid vapors are a hazardous decomposition product.
- Incompatible with materials made of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and polystyrene.
- Shelf life of a few years if stored in a cool, dry place, below 90°F and out of direct sunlight.
Do not wash clay dust from sanding down the sink, as water treatment plants are not able to remove fine particles from wastewater.
Super Sculpey Ultralight™ instructions are to bake at 275°F (130°C) for 15 minutes per ¼ in (6mm) thickness.  An oven thermometer is recommended. After baking, the material solidifies and can be sanded, drilled, carved, or painted. Do not heat above 175°C (350°F), allow to come in contact with open flame, or use with hot knife or wire. Do not use a microwave oven for baking. Do not over-bake or exceed recommended baking temperature or time. 
The soft, uncured Sculpey should not be placed on painted or varnished surfaces as the plasticizer will dissolve these materials. Additionally, uncured Sculpey may be affected by solvent based paints. Do not place unbaked clay on furniture, flooring, plastic, carpeting, or fabric. Marble, lucite, granite, glass, ceramic tile, metal, aluminum foil, and parchment paper are all acceptable work surfaces. 
Forms and Sizes
Information from the Super Sculpey Ultralight™ Product Page:
- Color: white
- Package size: 8oz.
Resources and Citations
- Sculpey: Website
- Kaela Nurmi, contributed information, MWG group, 2020.