1) A type of Cast iron that exhibits a silvery fracture. White iron is a hard, crystalline metal in which all of the carbon is in the form of cementite.
2) Another name for Tinplate.
Synonyms and Related Terms
1) forge pig; white cast iron
2) tinplate iron; ferro fundido branco (Port.)
Resources and Citations
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997