Thickening agent

Revision as of 16:15, 17 June 2023 by MDerrick (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Any hydrophilic material that increases the viscosity of a liquid. Thickening agents are used in food, paper, adhesives, textiles, paints, printing ink, and detergents. The main types of thickeners are (based on Lewis 1993):

Synonyms and Related Terms

thickeners; rheology modifier; gelling agents;

Resources and Citations

  • Wikipedia: Thickening agent Accessed June 2023
  • G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p.294
  • Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
  • Tom Learner, A review of Synthetic Binding Media in Twentieth-Century Paints., The Conservator, Vol. 24, 2000
  • Art and Architecture Thesaurus Online,, J. Paul Getty Trust, Los Angeles, 2000 Comment: thickener = preferred term