Jump to navigation Jump to search
[Reckitt Benckiser, NJ, US] A registered trademark for a commercial metal polish. Brasso is advertised for cleaning and polishing Brass, Copper, plate chrome, Stainless steel, and Pewter. The slightly viscous, opaque liquid contains Petroleum distillate (60-70%), crystalline Silica (9-12%) and ammonia (2-3%). Ammoniated cleaners are not recommended for museum objects.
- Reacts with silver.
- May dissolve paint and varnish.
- Causes stress corrosion cracking of brass coated iron and hardened brass.
- Rothko: SDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
Resources and Citations
- J. Moss "Ammoniated Cleaning Solutions" British Horological Institute Journal, August 1997, online Link
- Reckitt: Website (As of 2022, Brasso is no longer listed as a product in the US)
- Cconservation termlist: www.hants.org.uk/museums